Friday 4 December 2015

STL ICT skills

November 2015

Supporting ICT skills


I supported 4 pupils on a 1 - 2 - 1 basis to use an numeracy ICT game to support their learning and to assess if they had met the learning objective of' estimating' a number of objects.  Although the learning was primary about the pupils' numeracy skills, another intention was to support them to develop ICT skills along the way.  I found a game where the aim was to estimate how many objects, e.g. balls, pineapples, had just been flashed up on the computer screen.  The pupils had to try to make a sensible estimate and select the best answer from a choice of four on screen.  Before starting to play the game, I did a little practice run through with each child, to show them how the game worked and to ensure they knew how to use the 'mouse' to click on the correct answer.  None of the children I worked with had good skills in using the mouse to move to the correct point on the screen, and to click the left button on the mouse.  I demonstrated what to do and helped them to have a practice first with the mouse before the game commenced.  I recorded notes for the teacher on whether they had met the numeracy learning objective, and the ICT skills I fed back verbally to say if the pupils could use the mouse correctly to play the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment